Five years ago, when I was searching on how to start a blog to build an online business, I felt like my head would blow away.
The crazy amount of information out there, instead of helping me, confused me more with each new article I was reading.
Everyone has his version and opinion around the making money online concept. Some will tell you that you don't need a blog to make money online.
If you were asking me, I would say YES, this is true. But only if you are looking for some quick small pocket change.
I've done it.
If you are looking for a life-changing business and I hope you do ( otherwise, I don't think you would be here), a blog is your vehicle that will help you reach and cross the finishing line.
Why Would You Listen to My Advice?
Well, my dear, I am not an ‘Internet Marketing Guru' neither a business adviser.
I once was a beginner also, just like you.
To be honest, not only was I a begginer, but I had no clue how to execute a copy and paste task. 🤦♀️
As I mentioned before, in other articles, I experienced and learned a lot. Now I want to share everything with you, and if you're going to leap, I am here for you.
I intend to make your life hard and easier at the same time.
I genuinely hope you get to know me a bit from my other articles.
If you already searched other posts about how to start a blog, you probably noticed that the concept is similar.
The only difference is that everyone is presenting it from their own angle/experience.
I am not going to fool you about how super cool and comfortable it is to start a blog and how super-rich you will be by next year so that you click on any of my affiliate links and make a purchase.
I will leave this ‘privilege' to others.
During all these years, I made many mistakes. Luckily I learned from each one a lot.
I have to show you the pink side but the dark side also. This is why some of my blog posts are so long.
You might be tempted to skip all the “bla, bla, bla” and get straight to the action. ( Which means that ‘you are in a fire').
But this is ME—sorry, ladies.
I Dedicate All My Expertise to That STRONG WOMEN Inside of YOU.
If I can't prepare you to expect the unexpected, then my mission will fail.
Learn from my experience, follow the right steps (avoid my mistakes to fast track your business) and ask for help when needed.
The Success Formula in Anything You Plan to Achieve
To understand better what I am talking about, you might want to read my Starting an Online Business that Matter first.
Then come back and let's move on.
I promise to show you how to start a blog the right way and build a successful online business to be proud of it.
This article is 8440 words long and takes about 35 minutes to read, but you can always use the links below and get to the topic you're most interested in.
At any stage you find this article useful, please:
- Save it on Pinterest.
- Share it with your friends on Facebook or Instagram.
- Tweet it!
- Get my FREE 7 Step Clarity Plan!
- Follow me on Pinterest!
OK, You're Going to Start A Fantastic Journey.
Knowing I made a small contribution makes me happy.
This is the beginning of your blogging journey and your route to getting noticed on the internet.
This is the time you can show the world you are much more than just a mother and a loving wife.
The choices you'll make now will determine how well you succeed, so making the right decision now will make you good stead for a better future.
I can't provide your creative mind, and it cannot be bought, but I can tell you how to unlock those thoughts inside your mind so you can put them to paper.
WHAT IS A BLOG?
A blog is an open online journal filled with posts (articles) where the newest ones are usually displayed first.
This is a regularly updated informational website written in a less formal style by an individual or a group of writers that share their view/experience of a different subject, often intending to attract readers and generate online income.
Blogging is a story, and I am sure you have lots of stories to tell and opinions on things that are currently in the world.
Your life experience up to this age is a fantastic story. Crafted in the best way possible and put it up there in front of others.
You will be surprised by the impact you create.
People love opinions and hearing what others have to say.
To get started on your first blog, maybe think of a holiday you have had recently. Document the whole process from traveling and enjoying your experience, including any hints and tips for fellow holidaymakers and mini-reviews of any activities you have done.
Always try and keep the reader engaged; one of these ways is to include a bucket brigade copywriting technique.
This is where you add small sentences between paragraphs, simply asking things like “Do you want to know more” or “here's the deal.”
This is a proven way to increase reader engagement.
WHY STARTING A BLOG IS THE BEST IDEA FOR AN ONLINE BUSINESS?
A blog is a fantastic tool you can use to launch your online business and create multiple streams of income.
There are ‘N' ways to earn from your blog and rich the desired financial freedom, but you must keep in mind that running a blog requires attention, commitment, and regular updates to work for you.
Remember me stressing about writing from passion? I bet you do.
Keep this in mind all the time.
But, it is fun, creative, flexible, and depending on your vision, there are endless ways to make money from your blog.
For this to work well and pay off, you'll need some business tools and also to learn some new skills.
If you treat it as a hobby, you'll not be making any money.
Hobbies are for just for fun.
How much you will make is entirely dependent on your efforts and commitment.
You'll need to decide on your priorities, my darling, and your online business needs to go on the top of your list. I know you'll probably still thinking about your housework and your kid's priorities, not to mention your aging process.
Are you thinking now: I don't have the patience to learn new skills now, when will I get all this done?
I know, I hear you!
You have more time than you probably think right now. You just need to figure out what exactly you want to do.
If you're still in this phase, my 7 Steps Clarity Plan will help you get through.
As from experience, it will probably take anything from six to 12 months to start seeing results with your blog.
The good news is that once you did the hard part of building your business foundation the right way, then your work will be much more relaxed and far more rewarding.
On the other hand, if you will write about something you're passionate about, you'll never find it hard.
With my business, I committed from the start of at least two years of hard work.
Once I set my mind this way, I continued to push myself and didn't give up.
I wasn't expecting any money coming in any sooner than two years so I couldn't get disappointed. I prefer a full year of hard work and collecting rewording points for the rest of my life, instead of working in a cubical office or as I did, in a stressful environment for the rest of my life.
What about yourself?
By following the right steps, avoiding distractions, putting in the minimum necessary work, and having an open mind, the sky is still the limit.
All you need to know is where are all the keys on your keyboard, how many sugars you have in your coffee, and whether you have a big enough supply of chocolate to get you through (dark chocolate only and 100% organic, if possible).
I am going to talk you through all the not so complicated stuff, and once everything is set-up, it's a straightforward process to upload any blog post you have written.
BENEFITS OF HAVING A BLOG
- Blogging is the most popular way to express yourself. It is the place where people find the real YOU.
- Share your valuable information by communicating with others less formally. You don't need to use academic words to write your blog posts ( in fact, I advise you not to ). Being as natural as possible is the beauty of blogging.
- A blog is easier to manage compared to a standard website. Do not require HTML skills and is a fun play.
You can play around and show your creativity as much as you like without doing any damages.
- It is the perfect connection with your readers directly through the communication of comments. Comments on your blog are valuable in Google's eyes. With a regular website, you don't get that benefit.
- Talking about Google rankings, a blog gives you constant new pages that search engines like Google love. It is an easy way to get regular search engine ranking benefits that websites often keep limiting. This is why most businesses incorporate a blog page within their main website.
- Last but not least: You can generate a sustainable income from doing this with passion and the right way.
Assuming you have a story in mind and feel ready to start your blog, let's get all that scary techy stuff out of the way so you can relax and begin to write.
Here's What You Need to Get Your Blogging Career Off the Ground.
- Basic Internet knowledge.
- A creative mind to find your niche.
- A domain name.
- A web host.
- A platform for your blog.
- A theme.
FIND YOUR NICHE – WHAT CAN YOU BLOG ABOUT?
The topic you'll choose to write about is called: ”niche” in the internet marketing language.
If you decided to start a blog, you'd have to come up with a niche.
I know that you are excited and eager to start working on your blog as soon as possible.
It is very easy to pick a niche that you might think is profitable and make you lots of money just because you read some articles about people who are making a killing.
Enthusiasm and passion play a crucial role in running your own business, and it is vital to have your homework done before you dive in.
When we're talking about online business, many of us make a big mistake believing that all they have to do to become successful online is to put up a website, and then the money will roll in.
Let me give you an example:
When I first heard about the potential of an online business, after reading a few blog posts about how to start a blog and make money online, guess what I did?
I searched immediately on the term: ‘the most profitable niche to make money online.'
At that time, everyone was betting on those niches: Make Money Online Niche, Weight Loss, Fashion, Health & Lifestyle.
Today, I can see people making a consistent income online with any possible niche.
For example, Elna Cane is a successful mompreneur who's blogging about her experience as being a mother of tweens. She's doing this in a very productive way.
Once you set up your blog, Elna's course will teach you how to bring quality traffic to your blog and get noticed online.
Back to my story, I went there, sign up for a free web hosting platform,(big mistake) and started a fashion website. (This should bring me lots of money, right?).
I thought that if I slap in a few outsourced articles and fill up the site with affiliate banners and links, I will make a killing.
Why outsourced you're asking?
I didn't know much about fashion; it is not one of my strongest links.
I paid a few freelancers to write articles for me, and I was waiting for miracles.
Within a couple of months, I realized that I couldn't keep going like that.
The outsourcing work was too expensive, and on the other hand, nothing got me excited.
It wasn't something to find myself in. I get bored with it, so I give up quickly.
For now, you can outsource a logo design, but about this, I'll talk later on.
If you still think that a freelancer is what you need to write your articles, please keep in mind that they are only copywriters.
They research your blog topic and rewrite the same ideas in different words.
What you have to do is to take that article and add a bit of your personality.
Remember: blogging is about your experience.
People would want to know YOU.
They come back to visit your blog posts because they like the way you inspire them.
They might like your humor, they get connected in some way with your life story and so on.
So, you will need to know what you would love to blog about.
You will have to build a brand around the niche you pick. If you write about everything, it would be hard to identify as an expert.
Find the best niche that you can identify with and then break it down into more categories.
From the start, I would recommend you focus on one topic, come up with 10-12 blog post headlines, and slowly as you expand, you can add more categories related to the main topic.
If you can't come up with 10-12 blog post ideas, you will have to reconsider your niche as it might not be the right one.
All niches divide into sub-niches, and this is where I need you to focus.
I've selected a few niches with their sub-niches to see a clear picture between a niche and a sub-niche. Check the image below.
No matter what area what interest you choose to build your business on, you have to find a sub-niche which has low competition, but that also has a lot of people searching for it.
Please don't make the same big mistake as I did and start a blog just to make money.
Choose something you enjoy talking about, and you can provide value, but at the same time, you need to make sure there is a paying market available too.
This will have to keep you excited for years. It is critical that you like to write about it.
Share it on Pinterest! 💖
Are You Eager to Start Your Blog?
Most people are scared off by the techy stuff of uploading to the world wide web and creating an online presence, but this is far easier than you think.
Start the stopwatch, and I will show you how to start a blog and make money with it in almost 20 minutes.
OK, maybe you'll need a bit longer time if this is entirely new for you, but anyway, for sure won't take you months, like me.
HOW TO START A BLOG IN 20 MINUTES AND MAKE MONEY – IN 2020
DECIDE ON YOUR BUSINESS NAME & REGISTER A DOMAIN
The first step is to obtain a domain name that reflects who you are and what you are going to do online.
Knowing the right process for registering a successful domain name is going to be a significant phase in your business and your long term success.
In the long process, you will be focusing on all of the critical elements of getting your website indexed, ranked, and getting traffic to your site.
Before you get into the keywords, content, and rankings side of things, you need to get right the first essential part of your business.
A Domain Name Is Your Piece of Virtual Real Estate
Having your .com, .org, or .net domain carries some real incentives.
These are as follows:
- An Asset You Own. When you purchase a domain, you own it. Nobody else can come to take it from you. In the same way that I own iulianaluntrasu.com and a few others, you will own your very own domain. You are also in full control of every aspect of your domain and also present yourself as a serious marketer.
- Domains Increase in Value. As you build out your website, your domain will increase in value, just like any real estate asset.
- They Rank Better. Having your domain will lead to better rankings in Google, Bing & Yahoo, which own 99% of all searches online.
Try to choose a domain that relates to you and your blog, something like sarahsblogs.com, if your name is Sarah.
- If you create a personal blog, where you're the only blogger – ideally would be to have a domain with your first name followed by surname (ex: iulianaluntrasu.com). In case anything goes wrong with the chosen niche, you can make changes quickly.
- For a professional blog – choose your bran's name – you are not the only blogger as you can have guest posts if you wish so.
If You Pick a Domain Name Based on Your Niche Keyword, Make Sure:
- First, you are 100% sure about the niche you choose.
- Second, make sure you don't use any words that sound scamming. For example, if you are in the make money online niche, don't choose easycash.com, richquick.net, free money.org, or anything like that. You won't look professional, and chances to get rejected by people are quite high.
- Avoid trademarks.
A Great Domain Provider That I Recommend Is Namecheap.
Most domain providers will offer the first year at a discount price of anything between .99p up to $2.99, be aware that in your second year the price will increase but should be no more than $9.99 per year.
I would recommend going for a .com if possible, but if your domain is not available even after trying different variations, a .net or .org is still a great option.
Technically, you only need one domain and one website for your marketing business.
You can put out all your products, all your affiliate offers, your blog; you can have a support desk, your e-mail marketing, all on a single domain.
Now, if you decide later on to launch lots of products and services, yes, you can purchase a new domain for each one. But, in the beginning, you only need one domain.
Finding an available domain name can be a challenge, but it is usually quick, and you should have it done in less than 5 minutes to register.
As you decided, you can purchase here on Namecheap and then point the DNS to your web hosting.
I prefer to buy the domain directly from the web hosting platform, which is the next step in the process.
FIND YOURSELF A HOST
Every website needs a host so it can be seen live on the world wide web.
A host provides a server for your files to sit on and get transferred onto the internet.
There are usually two kinds of hosting options open to you.
- Shared Hosting - is where you share a server with other websites.
- A Dedicated Hosting - is when you have an entire server to yourself, and only your files will be stored.
If you just intend to upload blogs, then shared hosting is all you need.
The Things You Should Look for When Choosing a Hosting Provider Are:
- Nature of your website;
- Value of monthly plans;
- Customer Reviews;
- Website Speed;
- Add ons;
- File backup.
I have shortlisted three hosting providers that offer all of the above at a cost that is affordable and suited to blogging.
Those are the top once I used, and they stand over many others.
One of the biggest hosting providers with a wide range of monthly plans.
They have an excellent reputation and outstanding customer service. Plans start at a very pleasing €2.70 ($2.95) per month with a host of benefits that include a free domain for your first year.
I would recommend opting for the Choice Plus Plan at €4,98 ($5.45) per month, so you are covering all bases for your blogging website.
You can check the Bluehost website here!
The newcomers to hosting services and becoming extremely popular with website owners.
Ideal for bloggers due to their WordPress hosting integration service, which comes as standard with every plan.
They have three plans to choose from, and I would recommend their Grow Big Plan at just $5.95 per month.
This plan includes a massive list of benefits and great value for money.
Overall, Site Ground is my second favorite web host. They are hugely popular, have brilliant reviews, and their monthly plan gives you more scope to grow your blogging website.
Check Site Ground here!
D9 Hosting is a relatively a small hosting provider but has all the ammunition to fire your website onto the web with an excellent uptime well above 99%.
D9 is my number one recommendation for web hosting. It is the platform I currently use for all my sites, and I have no reason not to recommend them.
With their regular automatic backups, your blog is 100% safe. If anything happens, you'll never lose your hard work. It can always be recovered.
I've experienced a lost website data before with a different host provider; it's a nightmare.
Besides, the price you'll pay for your first year of web hosting is unbeatable!
Setting up your hosting plan with D9 is easy; here is my step by step guide to get your website live.
SET UP YOUR ACCOUNT AND BRING YOUR BLOG TO LIFE
1. CHOOSE A PLAN
I use D9Max Plan because I have more than one website.
If you plan to stick to one blog/website, then D9 One is just perfect. You get 40% off your first purchase with this link.
Once you decide on a plan, click the order button and see a pop-up screen with an upsell.
Click Yes/No and continue. Either one is perfect.
2. CHOOSE YOUR DOMAIN
It's time to register that unique domain name, we've talked about earlier.
If you have your domain already purchased with Namecheap or any other domain name platform, select ‘Transfer your domain from another registrar‘ option.
Make sure you click the question mark to read instruction.
Type in your domain URL and proceed.
If no, choose: ‘Register a new domain‘ and type in the name you want to register.
Select an extension: .com, .net.org, and check for availability.
Did you find your desired domain yet?
Great, click continue, and it is time to configure your hosting plan.
The next page will look like the pictures below.
3. CONFIGURE YOUR PLAN
D9 Hosting is offering monthly and yearly payment plans.
Most of the other platforms are only coming with yearly payments.
I do recommend the yearly payment plan as you save on the long time run, but if you can't pay for any reason, pick the monthly payment. I think you can always upgrade later on if you want to take a full year of hosting.
You need hosting for your successful online business, there is no other way.
1) Choose your billing cycle – FREE Domain included with any option.
2) Select a server location. D9 has two server locations, one in the USA if you leave in the USA and the other in the UK for the rest of Europe.
3) I choose – Dedicated IP Address (Recommended for SSL Certificates) with my plan because it offers a few extra benefits but is not mandatory. You really don't have to add on any extras.
4) I didn't take the extra speed boost because they already offer a high site load. I might upgrade soon, but for now, I am pretty happy this way.
5) Also, I didn't get any other add on, it is up to you if you would like to choose any more options.
6) Remember – you will get 40% off your first order with my link, but the discount amount will be shown on the checking page, so don't panic.
4) DOMAIN CONFIGURATION
Next step: Get FREE adds on for your domain.
Plus – enable ID Protection to protect your personal information.
5) REVIEW YOUR ORDER
Your 40% discount has been applied!
6) CHECKOUT & COMPLETE YOUR ORDER
It is time to set up your account.
1. Fill in your contact details.
2) Create a password for your account ( save it on a note pad to make sure you remember it).
When you log into your D9 client account, this is the password you need and the e-mail address you filled in.
3) And payment options and agree with their terms and conditions.
4) Complete your order.
Hit that complete order button!
Soon and you will receive a few emails from D9.
Check your spam folder if you don't see it in the inbox.
* You'll get one email with your client area login credentials. This is where you manage your account with D9, and for access, you'll use the details you filled in the form.
This is how it looks like:
* Another email – you'll get your CPanel details.
Please note that some time can take a bit of time ( about an hour ) for the domain to propagate.
Also, very important, keep an eye on your e-mail as you will receive an activation link for your domain name.
This is very important as you'll need to confirm your ownership.
How to login to your CPanel:
Option #1: – open up a new web browser and type in; yourdomainname.com/cpanel.
Option #2: – you can log in to your CPanel from your Client Area Account.
To do this:
- Log in to your D9 Client Area;
- Hover your mouse on ‘Services' and go to ‘My Services';
- Click on the yellow button:'Manage Product' where you see your domain name;
- On the left-hand sidebar click on ‘Actions' and ‘Login to CPanel'.
INSTALL YOUR BLOG
Got your CPanel details?
Great, login, and you'll see something like the picture below.
Scroll down and click on Softaculous App Installation.
CHOOSE A PLATFORM
Many people opt to use ready-made platforms like Wix, Weebly, or Blogger, mainly because they are free and ready to use.
I would always advise hosting your blog with your custom URL (domain). That way, you are in total control of your content, and your work won't disappear overnight.
The only platform I recommend for your blog is WordPress.org, and you'll get this option with my recommended Web Host provider.
A free blog platform can always shut down your site without any further notice, earning potential from your blog will be limited because they add their ads.
Those FREE platforms are privately owned, and in return for this free space you get, they place ads on your blog and take advantage of your backbreaking work of bringing traffic to it.
Here is the fun part!
Now we'll set-up the blog, install WordPress on our domain name, and build something that matters.
Don't worry if you feel like I'm speaking Chinese. This is much easier than it sounds.
Look for the WordPress app and click on it.
This is going to bring you to the WordPress installation page.
Click Install – Now!
The pictures below will show you exactly what to do:
1) ‘Choose the version you want to install‘ – leave it as it is. It's always the last updated version of WordPress.
2) ‘Choose Installation URL‘ – Select your domain name URL that you just registered.
You want your domain on to the root.
The directory is an extension, so clear this up, just as you see in the picture.
3) ‘Site Name / Site Description‘ – Whatever you want to call your blog (don't stress too much over this, you can change it later on).
4) ‘Admin Account‘ – Always choose something else and don't leave admin as your username for security reasons.
Come up with a robust password or use the password generator.
Make sure you take note of those details and keep them safe. You'll need them for your WordPress dashboard login.
Add your email address.
5) ‘Select Plugin(s)‘:
* Limit Login Attempts (Loginizer) – I tick this on again for security reasons.
If anyone will try to hack your site, he's going to get locked down after three failed attempts. Again, make sure you know your password.
* Classic Editor: Is the official WordPress plugin used for editing your blog posts.
If you leave it un-tick, this will be replaced with Gutenberg, a new site-building plugin.
Many users, including myself, find it challenging to work with, so I prefer the classic style.
Leave everything else as it is.
6) ‘Select Theme‘ – pick any theme you like. That's not very important right now as we will pick one later.
7) Scroll a bit more and add your email address again. You'll get all the set-up information into your email as well.
Click install and watch what happens!
VOILA! TAT'S IT!
You are now officially the lucky owner of the next successful blog!
Now, if you click on your URL domain name, you will see your blog live and fully functional.
GIVE YOUR BLOG A NICE DESIGN
Log in to your brand new blog dashboard with the administrative URL: https://yourdomain.com/wp-admin/.
Your WordPress dashboard is going to look like this:
The black border on the left-hand side indicates that you are on your dashboard.
Here you'll find all your blog functions.
I suggest playing around with everything and seeing how everything works before going into the next step of theme installation.
Don't be afraid of experiencing it!
Pick A Theme
Choosing the right theme for your blog is like finding your perfect match or the other half.
A good looking, clean WordPress theme will play an essential role in your business.
On your dashboard, if you scroll down to Appearance and then on Themes, you'll get on a page full of free WordPress themes.
I only recommend a free theme for playing around and learning.
For a professional and trustworthy blog, you want an SEO (search engine optimized) fully customizable theme.
Of course, you can.
The question is, what is your expectation from this blog?
A free theme has limited function. Many won't even let you change the colors.
A professional theme looks much better because you will be able to customize it the way you want.
Also, your blog performs better in search engines.
If you want to make money with your blog, you have to earn respect and admiration first.
There are a few options open to you through WordPress.
For a superb feminine theme, Bluchic is your perfect fit.
On this blog, I use Smart Theme, which comes free with OptimizePress.
OptimizePress is a superb, extremely user-friendly page builder plugin, with over 40 pre-designed templates that I use for all my funnels and lead pages.
It has beautiful functions, and it is much cheaper than many other similar products out there.
Also included are opt-in email forms that allow you to build up a loyal audience for your blogs
At some stage, you will need to build your lead magnet and funnels to grow your business.
I took advantage and got a superb WordPress Theme – FREE. ( Highly recommended).
Click the image below and watch a DEMO.
MAIN PAGES YOU MUST ADD TO YOUR BLOG
Now we have a great looking theme; it is time to construct your blog's main pages.
Probably the most important page of your blog is the About Page.
Most of the time, this is the first page a reader will want to check because:
- This is where they get to know who you are and what's your personality.
- What are the benefits of being your regular blog visitor?
- Do you offer solutions to any of their problems?
- Can they connect with your story?
How To Add A Page To Your Blog?
Some themes have already incorporated the main pages of your blog.
If You click All Pages, you'll see them all.
I usually delete the sample page and create a new one from scratch. It is up to you if you like to keep it and just replace the dummy text with yours.
To create and add a new page to your blog, simply go to Pages on your WordPress dashboard and click Add New.
See the picture below.
Add your desire text in the visual mode.
If you want to check how your page is going to look, before publishing, click on the Preview tab on the top right-hand side of your page.
If you're not ready, you'll need more time to create the content of a page/blog post, click on the Save Draft tab, and come back later.
Add a featured image.
When you are ready, hit the Publishing button to have your page live.
For your Contact Page, we will use a free WordPress plugin.
To do this, go to Plugins on your dashboard and click Add New.
In the search bar, add Contact Form 7.
Click on the Install link and then Activate.
Next, on your installed plugins page, find Contact Form 7 and click on Settings.
The plugin will generate a shortcode. Hover your mouse over, right-click and copy.
Go to your Page, Add New to create another page called Contact Page.
What goes on your page?
- A short message to encourage your readers to get in touch;
- Social media accounts;
- An email address;
- Paste your shortcode.
Have any questions? Get in touch or drop a message in the comment box down below.
Those pages are nothing fun, but unfortunately, they are critical to your business.
Now, I am not a legal advice person, and I can't give you any advice on this matter, but luckily they are great legal page generators to help you craft your pages.
The GDPR compliance is another thing you need to be aware of.
This is a notification for your readers about what will happen when they are visiting your website.
- What type of information you are collecting;
- How you are using that information;
- Who you're sharing the information with, etc.
I use this plugin for this that looks like the picture below.
You must see it when you landed on my blog page.
You can customize it to fit your brand colors, and it is easy to install it.
The Blog Page
This is the page where all your blog posts are sitting.
Depending on the theme you're choosing, the design will look different for any blog. You can customize the layout as you like.
CREATE AN ATTRACTIVE LOGO
The first impression always counts.
If you made it so far and got your business name register, you need to consider the first piece of your business branding; A LOGO.
Your logo and tagline will appear on everything that relates to your business.
Don't freak out!
You can get a professional, cheap, custom design logo here.
ESSENTIAL BLOG PLUGINS
What Is A Plugin?
A plugin is a piece of code integrated on top of your WordPress software to add more futures to your blog.
The most important ones you'll need to add to your blog are:
- Akismet – one of the best plugin to protect your site from spam comments.
- Yoast or Rank Math SEO – a free powerful tool to improve your blog SEO and attract traffic.
I have been using Yoast for years, but I recently found Rank Math, and I think it has better functions.
Use any of them but never both together.
If you plan on building a food blog you'll need a plugin like WP Tasty.
How To Download A Plugin To Your Blog?
On your site dashboard, go to plugins, add new, and search the plugin's name.
Click install and activate it, then go to settings to configure the plugin.
I will walk you throw with Akismet because initially, you'll need to pay a fee for this one, but I'll be showing you a trick, so you don't have to pay anything.
If you purchased your Hosting with D9, the plugin is usually uploaded but needs to be activated.
OK! So Far, So Good!
After you activate the plugin, you'll need to set up an account with them.
You'll get on a payment plan page.
Choose the Personal Plan.
Fill in the form with your details.
On the right-hand side where is asking ”What is Akismet worth to you?” – if you want to pay anything, it is up to you. Even $1 will do, otherwise, just drag the bar to $0.
I use it for years on all my sites with no problem.
Check your email for a confirmation code and paste it in the box on your screen.
Just follow the instructions on the next page:
- Grab your API key from your email;
- Go back to Akismet on your installed plugins page;
- Click on settings;
- Click on ”Manually Enter an APY Key” link;
- Paste in your key and connect.
That' It! You're All Set!
Your site is now spam-protected.
WRITE YOUR FIRST BLOG POST
So, that's everything set up.
Most people stumble at the first hurdle and fail to write their first blog and ultimately fail.
I highly recommend you get your first blog written and online as soon as you can.
Your first blog could be a short introduction about yourself and your interests and what your website is going to offer in terms of written content.
After that, a decent blog should have anything from 500 to 1000 words and be easily identifiable with your reader.
Try and make it fun to read with some punchy sentences.
Your content must be extraordinary.
Whether you are writing 1000 or 3000 words per article, make sure to offer great value and keep your readers engaged.
I don't know if you noticed it, but my blog is not a blog with hundreds of articles.
Each of my posts is written in several days and subjected to a diffusion process that takes up equally time.
In this way, I make sure to publish amazing and super-deep content.
I put my readers in front of everything.
People appreciate this kind of thing and will take your blog as a reference point.
And when you become a point of reference, a so-called expert, people trust you and buy your products or products you recommend.
Here are a few dos and don'ts that you should follow when writing your blog:
- Be professional and get to the point;
- Be original;
- Use great images;
- Proofread, and proofread again;
- Use bullet points (these are bullet points);
- Ask your readers questions then blog about the answers;
- Be current and topical.
- Ramble on;
- Cover more than one niche per blog;
- Copy content from the internet;
- Use your blog just for advertising;
- Give up. It takes time, and you can do it!
If you are struggling for ideas on what to blog about, here's a few things you could try:
- Look at other blogs. This is an essential thing that will give you ideas.
- Check out what other people are blogging about that are successful. You may notice a gap in the market that no one else has blogged about.
- Use the search engine to see what people are searching for. You can use the autocomplete function for queries to see what's topical.
- Have a look around forums to see any questions people are asking, if you know the answer then you could write it in a blog.
- Use your own life experiences and write about them.
- Whether you like holidays, sport, fashion or cooking, if you feel like you know enough about the subject, then go and write about it.
Before you start writing your first blog post, I want you to do one more setting.
- Go to Settings and click on Permalinks.
- Set your permalinks on Post Name.
- Save Changes.
This will make your blog post links look nice and clean.
From something like this:
INCREASE YOUR BLOG TRAFFIC
Don't expect people to just stumble across your blog.
It won't happen!
You need to get your website out there, and the easiest way to do this is through social media.
- Create your pages on all the socials.
- Create them in a similar theme to your website and add your URL in your bio.
- Join blogging groups on Facebook and upload your articles and point people towards your page without being too spammy.
- Connect with other bloggers.
‘Newsjacking‘ is a term used when somebody comments on a national news post and can be a great way to get noticed.
If you see a press release or article about a topic you blog about, get involved in the comment section, and offer advice or tips.
This is the hardest thing to do but also easy if you know how to do it.
Tweet something like this:
If you're wondering how I did this sweet looking tweet and placed it inside of my content, I am using a free plugin called: ”Click To Tweet”.
You're more than welcome! 😍
The key to creating viral content is to blog about controversial or highly discussed topics.
This is where ‘newsjacking‘ can work as it gives you an idea of the demand subject.
Your content will have to be of the highest quality to get you on the map – due to the high level of blogs on any hot topics.
Like this article? Save It on Pinterest! 💖
HOW TO MAKE MONEY WITH YOUR BLOG
Now you have ideas on getting more traffic and followers, here are a few ways to start making money with your blog.
Affiliate marketing allows you to advertise third-party products and earn on sales.
This works by adding tracked affiliate links to your blog. Then, you make a small commission every time someone clicks on the link and makes a purchase.
Recommend only products /services you use or have used that you trust and are of excellent quality.
High priced products and subscription services will make it easier to succeed in Affiliate Marketing.
They are probably a bit harder to sell, but you earn a more significant commission.
As from my experience, the effort of promoting a $10 product is equal to a $200 one.
Make sure to add your affiliate disclaimer at the top of each article to keep it legal and avoid trouble.
- You can join several Network platforms that host companies that are looking for affiliates.
- If you know a company that you'd like to promote, reach to them and ask if they have an affiliate program to join.
- Some companies have an affiliate program linked to the footer of their main website.
Affiliate Marketing Platforms / Networks
- Share A Sale: One of the most popular Marketing Network Platform to find products/services to promote in every niche.
- ClickBank: Online Marketing Platform to find and promote digital products if you are in the Internet Marketing, Health, and Self Development niche. Free to join and instant affiliate approval.
- Panel Place: A Marketplace for finding all kinds of digital products/services.
- Vig Link: If you have a niche site, you will want to have a look at VigLink. Generate total passive income just by adding this plugin into your WordPress dashboard and bring traffic to it. This platform combines in-text links into your blog post content, and every time someone clicks on it, you'll get a small commission.
These work like affiliate links but stand out more.
They are adverts for products or services offered by companies.
If your blog has a lot of traffic, you can sell banner space for a decent return.
For bloggers who are just starting, I recommend using Google Adsense.
Adsense offers a CPC (cost per click), which means you get a small fee for every click the ad receives or CPM (cost per thousand), which is a fee you receive for every 1000 impressions of the ad.
As your blog gets more traffic, you can move to another add management services like Mediavine.
I don't use banners and adds on this blog as I find them disturbing and annoying for my readers, but that doesn't mean this applies to you.
Create/Sell Your Own Digital Product
If you are confident in your market, then one way to make money is to sell courses or tips in the form of an eBook.
Creating an eBook is easy but can be time-consuming.
You will need at least 25 pages of content about a persuasive topic that is in demand. Once you have your eBook, you can sell it many times on your blog.
What other digital product you can create as a blogger:
- Membership Sites – Subscription sites offering training and building a community.
- Online Courses – Teach what you learned by offering virtual classes in audio, video, or text format.
- Photography – Upload and sell your high-quality photos on Stock Image sites, or directly from your blog.
- Printables – Planners, organizers, calendars.
Sell Your Newsletter
If you offer a monthly newsletter to your subscribers or followers, you could sell advertising space in your newsletter.
This is a straightforward process.
You need a decent following, and you may need to provide evidence of this to show to any prospective advertiser.
Write For A Brand
This requires you to have an audience and good blog traffic.
If you are a recognized blogger, brands may ask you to write an article about their products/services or a new release.
You could be cheeky here and contact brands directly, asking them if they are willing to sponsor you in return for a blog post (many bloggers use this method successfully).
You can write a super high-quality article to:
- Publish it on their blog – you blog FOR them;
- Publish it on your blog – you blog ABOUT them.
Having a blog has incredible results on job offers!
I often receive work requests, and due to lack of time, I have to refuse partially.
Isn't it extraordinary in this period of crisis?
There are a thousand ways to make money with a blog:
- If you are a painter, you can be commissioned to work;
- If you are a stylist you can sell your shirts;
- If you make costume jewelry you can sell your creations;
- If you are a webmaster you can sell your services.
Furthermore, an incredible market is that of consultancy!
Have you ever dreamed of being able to make money by making some calls from home?
WRAP IT UP!
My strategy for making money with a blog is the most efficient and ethically correct.
It provides a path of this type:
- Study the market;
- Create a professional blog;
- Exercise good influence;
- Amaze readers with sensational content;
- Create a relationship with readers and make them support your work;
- Work on the sentiment of your audience.
I know you might feel a bit overwhelming now!
How Does A Snake Eat An Elephant?
One bite at a time, isn't it?
That's what you need to do.
Take baby steps and keep going.
Trust me is not that hard.
Once you get into it, you'll figure out the formula, and things will be much easier.
The only way to see how it feels like when you have complete the puzzle is to keep pushing.
If you still have any questions about how to start a blog or face any other challenges, please let me know.
I will be glad to help.